Saturday, December 17, 2011

Need a hug?



Have you ever had one of those days where all you really needed was a hug? There is just something really special and intimate about a hug given at the right time. There is something about an embrace from a loved one that just lifts your spirits and reaffirms your value in their eyes. Such a simple physical affection can bring so much comfort to your soul.

Confession: I'm a bit of a hugger. I try to contain it at times. But once in a while I do catch people off guard as I throw my arms around them. I've always appreciated hugs. I know I'm not the only one. One of my favorite spoken word poets, Bradley Hathaway, has a poem about how great it would be to hug God. You can find that poem here. I really identify with this. If only God could embrace us in this way and provide that comfort we so often crave.

What I'm about to share is not an original discovery of my own within the Scriptures. I heard a message preached last week on television that really left me in awe of our God. I decided to research what the pastor said and found it to be true. So I pray this discovery comforts you as it has me.

In chapter 10 of Acts, Peter shares the Gospel message of Jesus Christ. He finishes up by saying (verse 43):

"To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins."

This powerful message was accompanied by God's presence as we're told in the very next verse (verse 44):

"While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word."

Now I'd like to go back to the book of Luke. Most of us are familiar with the story of the prodigal son found in Luke 15. We rejoice as we read of the son's return in verse 20 which states:

"And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him." (KJV)

It's interesting that these 2 stories that seem very different have something major in common- the word "fell". The Greek word used here is "epipipto" and it means to embrace with affection. Just as the Father embraces his son with that much needed hug, so the Holy Spirit also hugs us when He falls upon us.

The idea of a hug from God can be a reality when the Holy Spirit falls upon us, for it is God Himself hugging us. Notice that this happened when the powerful Gospel message was shared. Need a hug from God? Speak the Gospel truth and take comfort in the presence of the Holy Spirit as He wraps His arms around you.

No comments: