Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Strength in times of weakness

As Christians we can get so discouraged when times are tough. We can feel frustrated when we don't understand why God hasn't answered our prayer. It frustrates us because we often feel like we have the right to a great life because of our faith in Jesus. This assumption often leads to great disappointment when moments of weakness comes along.

Nowhere in scripture are we told that the Christian life is going to be the coolest thing since sliced bread. We are not told that our relationship and faith in Jesus Christ is going to be like a trip through Sesame Street with sunny days.

Paul was a man that knew this well. The bible tells us that Paul had some sort of affliction which he described as "a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me" The bible also tells us that this problem (whatever it was) was given to keep him from becoming conceited (2Cor 12:7).

"Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me" (2Cor 12:8)

Just like us, Paul spent a good amount of time in prayer over this issue that was troubling him. Three times he asked God to take this problem away.

"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness..." (2Cor 12 9a)

Without removing this affliction from Paul's life, the Lord solved the problem in a much greater way. He didn't end things, but told Paul- when you're weak, I'm strong! My power can be strong within you because you are depending on me, Your God, to carry you through these things.

Paul comments on this answer from God:

"...Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong" (2Cor 12:9b-10)

Paul really carries this out. He says not only does the Lord's power rest on me during times of weakness, but because of that power I have a strength from Christ. I will rejoice when my life is seeming to crumble because that only means Christ is all the more present with His grace to carry me through.

Are we going through anything we don't understand? Maybe there is a big issue we're struggling with? Perhaps its something smaller, but still bothersome? I think from these scriptures we can be encouraged and know that we are not alone. From such experiences, we are stronger because the power of God is with us. I pray that we can all apply some of this truth to our own lives and appreciate the presence of our Lord's love and grace in times of trouble.

1 comment:

Ikonophile said...

I am reading a wonderful book, titled Father Arseny: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father.

As the subtitle shows, Father Arseny was a prisoner (during the days of Stalin in Communist Russia, no less). If any man or woman is a shining example of strength in the midst of despair, I can find no better person than he.

Holy Father Arseny, who endured such humiliation, torture and despair, pray to God for us as we attempt to emulate you just as you emulated Christ. Amen.