Sunday, April 27, 2008

Who is Jesus? (I wrote this almost a year ago)

Who is Jesus? That's something I've been examining. And while trying to sum him up with mere words, I've come up with nothing. How can you describe the indescribable? How can you sum up the perfect son? I've really given this a lot of thought. If someone was to ask me who Jesus was, it may take me a minute or a lifetime. I mean, how can you be brief with someone so amazing?

Lately I've been on fire for God. And living life in such a manner (the manner of being in love with Jesus) is the only way I want to live for the rest of my life. I've been studying, praying, singing, praising, discussing, and all that jazz. But with that said, I'm still at a loss for words. But I will share with you what I have come up with. Check out the book of John. This is where I got my answer.

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." (John 13:34)

So I have this down. He wants us to love each other. And he wants us to do it in the style that he has done. I continue reading John and I can't stop crying. I really can't. All of a sudden Jesus' life made me hit the water works and the tears started flowing freely. I mean, I know he loves us. I know I love him. But tonight I got so much more from the book of John than ever before.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." (John 14:1-4)

So I read the scripture above and stop. I reflect and try to see the bigger picture. Jesus knows what is coming. He knows that Judas is gonna betray him. He knows that his death is near. If you read John 13:21-30 it tells us that Jesus was troubled in spirit. He has the weight (and the sin) of the world getting ready to be dropped on his shoulders. Going into this he has the option of saying, "nah". He could have backed down. Or suppose he decided to go through with it. He still could have changed his mind and called the angels to rescue him.

"Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels ?" (Mat 26:53)

"If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you." (John 14:15-17)

"Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him." (John 14:21)

With a troubled spirit and all, he still tells us he loves us. He still tells us that God the father loves us. Not only is he promising the love of Him and our Heavenly father, he tells us that he is going to send us more comfort (the holy spirit). He's getting ready to die for our sins and he's still thinking about us.

And then he goes on to pray for his disciples and all believers. And in his prayer he says,

"While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled." (John 17:12) and "My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one." (John 17:15).

Here comes death, abuse, mocking, sin, and pain. And yet he says, "protect them". So you may be reading this and expecting me to sum up the Jesus I know and love with a few words like I earlier mentioned. Sorry to disappoint you, but I can't do it. What words do you have for someone who was too busy looking out for us rather than looking out for Himself? The only word I could come up with is "perfection" but even so, Christ makes perfection look like error. He is beyond perfect.

1 comment:

Eric said...

I like this blog. Its pretty legit.