Sunday, April 27, 2008

God listens to me, I listen to what God sounds like.

On Thursday night I was talking to my friend Nicole. I told her about this idea I have and how I'd really like to go to Niagra Falls or some other waterfall. This was not something I had prayed about or even thought about before Thursday. But I really wanted to go to a waterfall. I told nobody this but Nicole.

So today (the next day, Friday) my mother wakes me up and asks, "Hey Chris, we're going to see a waterfall at this park, do you want to go with us?". So I'm a bit out of it but once I wake up and have her repeat what she just asked me I was like, "Wow that's from God right there, I just said last night that I'd like to go to a waterfall". So I get up, get ready, grab my bag, and my bible, and off I go with the rest of the family to Cherokee National Park.

The drive up there was delightful. I listened to Christian music and just kept praying short prayers. I talked with my family and really enjoyed the ride. That park is beautiful. You have to drive through the mountain to get to the waterfall. So along the way all you see is bodies of water with rocks sticking out. We pulled over at one part and I crossed a little bridge, and climbed a few rocks til I was on the very edge of the rock, almost in the water. It was so amazing. So we drive for maybe 10 more minutes and pull over at the waterfall.

I get out and as I walk over my knees feel shaky. I feel my eyes start filling up with tears. I approach a small little bridge and my mind completely empties itself as I stare at the rushing waters fall over the edge. The sound of the waterfall completely captivates me and I'm mesmerized. Immediately my mind starts to fill itself with silent prayers to God. I was so thankful. I was so grateful for the experience.

So you're probably wondering, what's the deal? Is Christina a waterfall freak or something? Why was she so emotional?

The reason I told Nicole I wanted to visit a waterfall was because of my bible studies. I'm reading the book of Revelation and I'm beyond intrigued. John, the author of Revelation and a few other books in the bible sees Jesus. And this is one of his descriptions of Jesus:

"His feet were like burnished bronze, when it has been made to glow in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of many waters." (Revelation 1:15 NASB)

And you also read in the old testament:

"and behold, the glory of the God of Israel was coming from the way of the east. And His voice was like the sound of many waters; and the earth shone with His glory". (Ezekiel 43:2 NASB)

When I read those verses I thought about it. The sound of many waters. God's voice- its like the sound of many waters. Have you ever sat back while at a waterfall or at the beach and just listened to the water? Its so loud, so continuous, so overwhelming, yet so soothing and comforting. And that is the comparison to God's voice, many waters. God's voice is so big and so huge and so overwhelming- but at the same time- its so comforting and can fix any situation. That amazes me. After reading those verses, I had to hear some water. I wanted to feel that. I wanted to hear how big of a sound that was, and then really reflect on how amazing God truly is. It really was a wonderful experience I had today and I'm so grateful. If you've never tried this- go to the beach, go to a waterfall. Listen to the water. Then, listen to God. Absolutely amazing.

I have to say this- the Lord keeps surprising me. This sort of situation keeps happening. I say something, and then the very next day, that something happens. I mean I wasn't even praying about this. It just came up in conversation. And I know this may sound silly but the fact that God hears every word out of my mouth is an incredible thought to me. He is listening to our conversations. He is listening to our thoughts. God hears us. Even when we're not crying out to Him, He hears us. I'm not worth listening to. And I mean come on, you guys know me and how annoying or goofy I can be. Can you imagine listening to me think and talk for more than 24 hours? God does this every single day! And then He lets things happen. He makes things happen. I didn't have to see that beautiful waterfall today. I didn't think I'd ever get around to that. But God out of His overwhelming kindness took care of that situation.I don't think I could be more in love with God. He listens to me. All the time. Nobody else would ever do that, but He does it, by choice.

No comments: