Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Memories in a book review.

Today I was on Christianbook.com, checking out this book on Arminian theology. I started to read the reviews for this book and found this:

Reviewed by Roger French (Pasadena, MD), September 14, 2007
I have gained a greater understanding of the subject and the views of both those who are in agreement with the topic as well as those who disagree. The author has written a very helpful and informative book.

Instantly after reading that I was smiling. The person who reviewed this, I know him. Mr.French was my Sunday school teacher at Pasadena Assembly of God, my home church in Maryland. This review opened up a flood gate of memories. If you've never heard me mention Mr.Roger French and Mrs.Carol French (his wife), then you're probably not listening to me. This married couple were and continue to be instrumental in my Christian walk.

Mrs.Carol is the church secretary, she was a youth leader with The Quake youth ministries, and a dear friend of mine. Shortly after I started attending church at Pasadena Assembly of God, she approached me and asked if I'd help out with some youth ministry project. I remember thinking she was so sweet and had such a lovely, bubbly personality. Between our frequent phone calls, lunches, and constant exchanging of prayer requests her and I grew very close. She is the type of person you are always looking forward to speaking with. Her personality was such a strong witness to me and really shaped my own way of speaking and thinking. She always had the right words. She was always there to talk to and pray with. Selfish is a word she does not know. This summer the Lord called Mrs.Carol's daughter Traci home. When Mrs.Carol and I were talking about this she stopped and asked me, "Hows your family doing? How are you?". That blew me away. This woman just said goodbye to her daughter but she still did not put herself first, she asked about me. Jesus Christ is so evident and alive in her life and she truly is a bond servant of the Lord.

Mr.Roger is an extraordinary teacher. While I had the option of attending another class at the church, I always went to his class. He is such an intelligent man and I could listen to him teach all day long. His approach to the scriptures was something I was not used to- he actually read what was there. I was so used to this fluffy brand of Christianity sprinkled with a line of scripture. But when I heard Mr.French teach- wow!! You mean you can actually go through entire chapters of the Bible and apply it to your life? You mean there is a history behind that scripture? I was amazed. Mr.French helped me discovery my thirst for the scriptures and influenced me to study the riches of the Word. I'd often make comments to my mother, "I wish I could have his brain for just a day"! But his intellect wasn't the only thing I admired. I remember he was teaching about listening to God, having a sensitivity to His voice. One time he opened class with an explanation and apology about something he said that could have been confusing or misleading if not further examined. He said God had dealt with him about what was said. That was such a profound thing in my eyes. He obeyed the Lord and was careful with his words, wanting to present the beauty of the scriptures in their proper deserved light.

That little review just reminded me of the great people God has placed in my life. When it comes to friends and mentors, I am rich. I can't wait to return home and see these dedicated servants of the Lord. I can't wait to hug Mrs.Carol, to take notes during one of Roger's classes, and I can't wait to be home. God is so good.

No comments: